It's a strange thing (for me) to walk in shorts on a hot sunny day through a shopping center filled with plastic trees, metallic tinsel and a Santa inappropriately dressed for snow. Growing up in Carmichael, California, our Christmas took place during winter. To me, Christmas represented cold rainy days, and nights spent dreamily gazing at the lights and ornaments on our Christmas tree as we huddled around our wood stove. Don't get me wrong, I love the weather here in Port Elizabeth. There is only really but two seasons; a not-so-hot one and a hot-most-of-the-time one. In the morning it could be stormy and grey, then come afternoon it could be hot and sticky. You really never know what to expect. But it just doesn't feel the same for me (obviously). I guess that has been a bit hard.
As this year comes to an end, the distance between me and family/friends becomes harder and harder to bear. I have lived here for a year now. Thus far in life, I have not experienced such peace in my daily life. I love South Africa and I love what Jesus helps me do here. But my heart is stilled pulled between two parts of the world. This will be my first Christmas without family. Although I do get to see everyone a few days later I will still be here for Christmas without them. And I try to not let my heart hurt, but it never really gets easier with time. But in all fairness, those gaps that family helps to fill won't ever be truly full until I go to live with Jesus in my true home forever.
Things at the house are going okay. Always interesting, always something going on. I have so much love and respect for what these girls have done in the past month. One of the women who stays there has been working at a call center arranging appointments for a cab service who keeps drunk drivers off the road. She has had to overcome incredible circumstances such as: not having any prior skills with computers, horrible treatment, from her manager, and working the night shift. Keep in mind this is her first job! From her background, she has really been thrown into the deep end. Even so, Roxy has been strong and is moving forward! She has a strong heart and the beauty of Jesus shines through her.
Only 25 days till I depart to visit everyone in the States! So excited to see everyone. Love and miss you all. Have to go now, will post more updates later on. Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment