Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Dr. Seuss, FOOD, and New Beginnings

To those of you reading, I apologize for not writing in some time. If you have been following my journey, you have known that I went back to the States to visit my family and friends. I was back for a month and between being there and transiting back to South African life, I have been to busy to write. 

The times that I have gone from South Africa back to America I immediately experience what I call the "Dr. Seuss effect." In SA, most people do not have visible front gardens(everything is gated) and those who have lawns let Jesus provide them with water. Bushes stay "bushy" and weeds stay "weedy." Of course, you always have people who are the exception and pay for such services.But for the most part, things are left to their own devices. So when I drive out from the air port along highways with rounded bushes, and pass parking lots and businesses with grass that looks like it has been painted because it is so green, I temporarily feel like I have entered this funny, un-real, plastic-looking society. After the first day or two, it wears off , but what a strange feeling! I remember going shopping with my mom and thinking all the fruit looked so fake- everything shined perfect colors, stacked into a fancy pyramid under the florescent lights. For the past year+ I have gotten accustomed to sifting through the heaps of produce- non-polished, non-sprayed, non-washed, to find the onion or apple with the least amount of 'spots' (I still have yet to find an unspotted onion). I love the cleanliness of American grocery stores and the fact that you can find anything at anytime of the year, but I prefer the cheapness and "rawness" of the things in South Africa. Far less chemicals and such are used in and on food here. I didn't think I would experience culture shock like I did because I do not live in a rural village here, but to my surprise I did struggle a bit to re-adjust.

I know this doesn't give Americans the best rep in me saying this… but one of the things I miss most besides family and friends is the food in the States. California is amazing in that you can get any kind of food, anywhere, anytime and the majority of it is legit. All my family did when I was there was feed me! I loved EVERY meal my mom cooked for me and at the same time started to worry if they would need to roll me off the plane once I landed in SA. It is an understatement to say I more than thoroughly enjoyed myself! My friends who greeted me once I got back commented on how "healthy" I looked- in there culture big is beautiful. I was conflicted with the complement haha. I also took back some of my favorite sauces that SA does not have or sell. I was spoiled silly with food by my parents. ANDDDDDDD… I got to eat the best (and my favorite)sushi 3 times. Oh man is this stuff good. If you live or visit Sacramento area hit up Silver Sake. You will not be disappointed. 

I had an amazing time visiting and reconnecting with everyone and was so blessed by Jesus with my time there. I was able to squeeze in some time to speak at a few youth groups and on a radio program, which was really cool and encouraging to share the adventures God can take you on by simply saying "yes" and also got some intense oral surgery done. All that joy made things very hard leaving everyone and everything again for so long. Was awesome and emotionally helpful to have my gran travel back with me to visit me in SA for a bit! I felt as if my two very far apart worlds merged a little closer together which brought some comfort. 

Getting into the swing of things here has been great and chaotic. I experienced a few unexpected "opportunities" for change coming back. This new year has brought a fresh spirit of focus and new energy. Sad but exciting, the transitional house is coming to a close now. I was not sure if I would be continuing to volunteer with Oceans after, but they have asked me to stay on and continue.The mission house that I help run will be moving to a bigger house where more people will be living. I will be sharing a room in a flat with 3 other missionary women under Oceans of Mercy. I am very pleased to accept. This will be a new change for me to share a room with someone as I haven't done so for 3 years. But, I am looking forward to the growth and challenges it will bring everyone. 

Things with Westside Family Church are going great and we are still going strong with our mission of reaching people who are far from God. I am also loving the new closeness with my youth- I have been leading them now for a year and it is such a cool thing to see their growth and beauty in Jesus evolve. So excited for what God will do this year! I am also in a few new schools weekly doing assemblies, group talks, or leading in a time of musical worship. Still there are no committed leaders who want to serve in youth so please pray for willing and loving leaders (with time) to come alongside me. 

You may know this, but I have recently gone back to my studies and am in currently doing seminary online. I am in the biblical counseling program and then after will hopefully get my BTh. I am LOVING everything I am learning and can apply all of it to my current ministries. Keeping up with the wading and such has been an issue with my schedule and with not having internet access all the time(I am studying online), but I am putting my full effort into it and trust God will help me stay focused and on track. If you want to check out the institution it is South African Theological Seminary -http://www.sats.edu.za.  If you are stretched for time and money yet still want to pursue biblical studies of some sort, check them out. 

Other than the above, I can't seem to find many other things to update you on. I do have some internal things I will want to spew next time I get some wifi and time but will leave that for later. I hope you are all doing well! Be blessed this week.     

2 comments:

  1. I rarely read blogs but wanted to take the time to read this one! I can imagine the transitions, but just like most of life--you become better at adapting. Jesus is being glorified and the Gospel is being spread through you my friend! Awesome stuff!! Love in Christ, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madison, I thoroughly enjoyed your letter. I recognize the picture above - I can say, oh, I've been there. All the best in your studies and God bless. Love Grandma B.

    ReplyDelete