In bible college they teach you about the total depravity of man. Simply put, this is the understanding that man without God is capable of nothing good in word, thought, or deed. When one grasps this, it is impossible not to gravitate to complete humility. Looking back, we say and hear phrases all the time that start with "God loves me despite my…". I have thought nothing of it until this weekend.
Friday and Saturday, all of the Westside Family Church staff (all 6 of us!) and some of our leaders attended the Leadership Summit Simulcast. We were blessed with teachings from the top leaders all over the world. One of the speakers(don't have my notes with me so I can't tell you their name- sorry!) talked about finding someone who loves you because of your faults and imperfections and not despite them. And then I thought about Jesus and how it is wrong to say He loves us despite our faults and imperfections. God is so much bigger than despite. Loving someone because they're imperfect is so much more significant than loving someone despite their imperfections.
God created us with His loving breath and therefore knew/knows all that we would/will screw up. There is so much power behind knowing that He loves us because we are who we are, and not that He loves us even though we suck.
This has been an awesome and exciting thing for me to put into practice. Our responsibility as Christ followers is to love people. Now, I constantly question myself, "Am I loving this person in spite of their baggage, or am I loving them because they have it?" This really gives your heart some incredible perspective on how we go about loving people outwardly and inwardly.
Prayer Request: One of the women who lives with me is going through and incredible life changing circumstance that she is not yet prepared for. Please pray for opportunities to open up for her and for wisdom for myself to lead her through this. -A bit vague but can't share much more details.
Thank you all for your continued support!
No comments:
Post a Comment