5:30a.m. I manage to pull my cold body out of bed, shower, eat, ready a few final details, and finish most of my computer work for Westside. Trailer and bakkies(trucks)now full of supplies, tools, bags, and humans we head out to the open road where thoughts run free with each passing shrub and memories linger like the music forcefully trying to drown out any feeling of nausea. We arrive 10 HOURS LATER. After many a time of windows down and heads like dogs trying to gulp down the fresh air instead of letting something else spew out, we stretch our legs for the final time and ready our places at the Bambisana Oceans of Mercy mission base for bed.
The next few days were spent waking up early(sometimes not sleeping at all!), ministering to children at the different soup clubs Oceans runs there, basking in the hugeness of God at the Magwa Falls, worshipping Jesus through music and prayer, hanging out with the youth and children of the different villages and even catching some of the World Cup.
The most amazing thing about this trip was that I was on the sidelines. I challenged my youth to create the teachings and teach the teachings. They did it all! At first there was some push back and tension but as they saw this was possible (and not something to get out of lol) they hustled through and created an awesome program for the kids. The first two teachings you could see that their confidence was low. Their posture, tone of voice and expressions let the children's attention escape them. After a pep talk, some debrief, and brainstorming they were ready to go again at the next soup club. EVERYONE could see the difference in their performance and boy did they put on a great, active, and alluring program! They also got the chance to share and speak with the older youth on the last night. For many of them, it was only their very first or second time speaking and they shared parts of their stories they never had before with people. Yet they spoke with out quiver or deviating thoughts. They sounded amazing and drove a touching and vulnerable yet practical lesson home to the youth their. It was such a cool thing for me to see them step up and be the leader, even amongst their peers!
The past year and a half these guys have been sorting through the big rocks in their life and they are now at the point where they are now the leader, they are now the one who disciples. Their fruit is ripe and ready to be picked and shared with those they influence.
Having such a small group of youth in our church has provided me with an amazing opportunity to become really close with these guys and be able to go so much deeper than I would if I had more students. I consider them to be truly family. I really do love these guys with all of me and would do anything for them. Together we have become a family- they often treat each other like brother and sister too lol. They joke with me all the time when we are together in public often calling me "mom" or if they want to make a bigger joke... "grandmother"(Makhulu in Xhosa). But all laughs aside I really have felt so incredibly proud of who they are in Christ. They are people of such integrity. They are people of honesty. They are people of love. They are people of joy. They are people of kindness. They are people of faith. They are people of power. They are people of courage. They are people of praise. They are people of God. And only by God have they become these.
It has been such a joy and honour doing life with these students. I am so filled with thankfulness and awe as I see who God has made them to be thus far. I only look with more excitement into our future. I can say with full confidence that the world is truly a better place with them in it. I have no doubt that what ever this world brings to their path, they will have success in Christ.
Thank you to those who support me through prayer and finances, you too are a part of their story.
No comments:
Post a Comment